Jesus suffered greatly, he was mocked, given sour wine to drink of which he refused, then they crucified him, and divided His garments, casting lots, sitting down they kept watch over Him there, and they put up over his head the accusation written against him THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS, and those who passed by blasphemed our Jesus saying, “You who destroyed the temple and built it in three days save Yourself! If you are the Son of God, come down from the cross. Likewise the chief priests also mocking with the scribes and elders, said, He saved others, Himself He cannot save. If he is the King of Israel, let Him now come down from the cross and we will believe him. “He trusted in God, let Him deliver Him now if He will have Him, for he said I am the Son of God.”
Miracles and Power at the Cross
- Now from the sixth hour until the ninth hour there was darkness over all the land. At the 9th hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice saying. “My God My God why have you forsaken me.” Some of those who stood there, when they heard that said, “This Man is calling for Elijah!” Immediately one of them ran and took a sponge, filled it with sour wine, put it on a reed, and offered it to him to drink. The rest said, “Let him alone, let us see if Elijah will come to save Him.
- And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice and yielded up his spirit, and behold the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom.
- And the earth quaked, and the rocks split, and the graves opened and many bodies of the saints, who had fallen asleep, were raised and coming out of the graves after His resurrection and they went into the holy city and appeared to many.
- So when the Centurion and those with him, who were guarding Jesus, saw the earthquake and the things that had happened, they feared greatly, saying, “Truly this was the Son of God!”
Who has ever loved you with an abundant love such as this? Who has ever laid down their life for you and/or suffered for you the way Jesus did? No one has ever done this for me accept for my precious Jesus.
John 15: 13 – 14: There’s no greater love (NKJ)
- Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.”
“We preach Christ crucified. This is the focal point of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is a picture of blood flowing from Christ’s veins as He hung on the cross. The message of shed blood is repugnant to many, and they turn from such a gory sight, feeling that their delicate sensibilities have been outraged. Many people will accept Christ’s character, but they reject His crucifixion.”
“The idea of a world being saved by Christ crucified was indeed foolishness to those who were proud and boastful and who thought the wisdom of the world was vested in them. How different it is for those of us who, in simple faith, know Christ crucified. For us, the cross is the power of God and the wisdom of God.“